ORMESBY HALL MODEL RAILWAY GROUP

Our Layouts
Model Railway Weekend
Events
Volunteers Section
Links

Fact File
Name Pilmoor
Layout Size 19ft x 9ft 6ins (approx.)
Gauge OO
Station Type Junction
Operating Company London & North Eastern Railway
Period Late 1930's
Area ECML
Buildings Scratch Built
Stock Kit & Ready To Run
Baseboard Construction Open Frame
Track Peco Code 75

History
The former main line station of Pilmoor was situated on the East Coast Main Line between York and Thirsk and was the testing area for the very first colour light signals on the ECML. The line was built for the Great North of England Railway and was opened in 1841. When the branch to Boroughbridge was opened in 1847 Pilmoor was built to provide a connection with main line trains. The station was unusual but not unique, in having no road connection. Passenger numbers were always relatively low due to it's remote location. When the mainline was widened during the Second World War a new station building and Station Master's house was built. The station was closed and demolished in 1958 to make way for widening of the East Coast Main Line, today all that remains is the Station Master's House. Just south of the old station and beyond the road bridge, two railwaymans cottages remain. We have modelled one of the cottages and photographed its location below. The last train to run between Pickering and Pilmoor was in 1953. A new signal box was built a mile further south from the station. The line to Brafferton was opened in 1847 to serve the villages of Brafferton and Helperby. It closed to passengers just over 100 years later in 1950 and was ripped up from the Pilmoor end but not from the Knaresborough end and freight continued until 1957. The station was demolished and very little remains apart from a road bridge over the former track bed.

The Layout
Pilmoor represents the ECML as it was in the late 1930's; when the L&NER, along with the rest of the railways, were enjoying their best years. With the location of the layout many famous trains and locomotives can be seen, such as; "The Coronation", "The Flying Scotsman" and A4 no 4468 "Mallard". The layout was built from scratch by the team. We have headed The Flying Scotsman rake of carriages with Flying Scotsman 4472 in recognition of the magnificent work carried out over that last decade to restore the engine to its former glory.

Stock
We have a wide variety of trains, of varying lengths and speeds. The trains range from the local suburban trains composed of Gresley non corridor stock, hauled by tank locomotives through the slow and express freight trains right up to the most prestigious passenger trains that the LNER were running in the late 1930's.

Gallery

Our latest addition is a remodeled pilmore station based on recently acquired period photographs.

Pilmoor Station The 'Pilmoor station branch line Flying Scotsman passes through Pilmoor Junction.

Other photographs.

The new cottages are plastered in place. J. Wealleans The new cottages in place. J. Wealleans The new cottages in place. J. Wealleans The new cottages in place. J. Wealleans Harvest Time in Pilmoor. J. Wealleans Pilmoor Junction Signal Box. J. Wealleans Travellers Caravan in Field. J. Wealleans The new cottages in place. J. Wealleans Travellers Caravan in Field. J. Wealleans The new cottages in place. J. Wealleans Newly completed LNER D20. J. Wealleans Newly completed LNER D20. J. Wealleans Newly completed LNER D20. J. Wealleans

Home